Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Cruella de Vil Halloween




I was very excited when I found out about the Philly Bike Party's Halloween ride, and that they encouraged you and your bike to dress up. I already knew I was going as Cruella de Vil. Of course, I had to do some research first. I came across some amazing preliminary sketches.

Some Marc Davis preliminary sketches for the character. I love the one where' she just bundled up in her fur with eyes poking out.

Illustration of Cruella de Vil by Janet and Anne Grahame Johnstone, twin sister illustrators for the original book.


Using these as my inspiration, I created a cape and tutu. I draped my bike in fabric so it could be a dalmatian with me. I used a black styrofoam ball for the nose, and I backed the "ears " with pink felt. I used pink felt for a tongue. I grabbed a paper towel tube and cut it down the middle, then rolled it into a cone and glued my fabric to it for a tail. Of course I got long red gloves and a cigarette holder to complete the look!





I even won best costume for the bike ride! The ride was an absolute blast, and included a dance party in Rittenhouse Square. Spooky music accompanied us through Center City and all the way up to Penn Treaty Park.  All the work culminated in something!

Also, I was once a dalmatian on a previous Halloween. My four year old self would probably not be amused by my costume choice.







No comments:

Post a Comment